Lesbian And Gay Statistics
Lesbian and gay related statistics play a very important role in society. So, I have decided to
add this page.
We need them to help improve things in life and make important changes, hopefully for the better. Not every
homosexual person is willing to admit to their sexuality, so this makes it hard to obtain completely accurate gay
However, I have collected up a few different stats from different countries and cities for your interest.
* Gibson,P (1989) "Gay Male and Lesbian Youth Suicide" In M. Feineib(Ed), *Prevention in Youth Suicide* (Report
Task Force on Youth Suicide, Vol3,pp 110.44) Washington, D.C.: US Department of Health and Human Services.
According to this study, gay and lesbian youth are two to three times more likely to commit suicide than other
youths and 30% of all completed youth suicides are related to the issue of sexual identity.
* The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force "National Anti-Gay/Lesbian Victimization Report" concludes from its
survey: 45% of gay males and 20% of lesbians surveyed reported having experienced verbal harrassment and or
physical violence during high school as a result of their sexual orientation.
* In a survey of lesbians and gay men in Pennsylvania, 33% of gay men and 34% of lesbians reported suffering
physical violence at the hands of a family member as a result of their sexual orientation.
* In a psychological study of 484 students at six community colleges conducted by Dr Karen Franklin, 18% of the
men interviewed admitted that they had committed physical violence or threats against men and or women they
perceived to be gay or lesbian.
* 28% of gay and lesbian high school students in a national study were seen to have dropped out of school
because of harrassment resulting from their sexual orientation. (Remafedi. G. Pediatrics. 326-330. 1987)
* 80% of lesbians, gay and bisexual youth reported servere isolation problems. They experienced social
isolation, emotional isolation and cognitive isolation. (Hetrick. E.S., Martin.A.D. Journal of Homosexuality 14
(1/2). 25-43. 1987).
* 26% of gays and lesbian youth are forced to leave home because of conflicts with their families over their
sexual identities. (Remafedi. G. Pediatrics. 79, 326.30. 1987)
* Approximately 20% of all persons with AIDS are 20-29 years old: given the long latency period between
infection and the onset of the disease, many were probably infected as teenagers. (Lehman. M. HIV/AIDS Surveillance
Report, 5 (1) 1993)
* 53% of students report hearing homophobic comments made by school staff. (Making Schools Safe for Gay and
Lesbian Youth: Report of Mass. Governor's Commission on Gay and Lesbian Youth 1993)
* In a study of depression and gay youth, researchers found depression strikes homosexual youth four to five
times more severely than other non-gay peers. (Hammelman. T.L. 1990)
* "Homosexuals are probably the most frequent victims of[hate crimes]" (US Department of Justice 1987).
* In a recent Australian study of 1500 gay and lesbian adolesents, 80% had not told their parents of their same
sex attraction. Gay statistic studies over the past 7 years have indicated that 25% to 40% of young lesbians and
gays have attempted suicide. ("Here For Life" Youth Sexuality Project)
* On any given night there are approximately 19000 young homeless people in Australia. It is estimated that
between 5000 and 6250 of these are same sex attracted. Homelessness was due to a range of factors, including family
conflict over sexuality related issues. ("Writing Themselves In" Hillier et al NCHSR 1998)
These are only a few gay statistics and I will endevour to keep adding to them for your interest.
Remember, these gay statistics are just that, 'statistics' and this doesn't mean that your children or loved
ones may ever be in any of these groups concerned.